Monday, January 29, 2018

How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America: Essays by Kiese Laymon (on Hoopla)

How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America: Essays
by Kiese Laymon [currently available only in eBook format from Hoopla through the libraries] 

I enjoyed this set of nonfiction essays. It gave me insight into the writing and publishing process, as well as to Laymon’s book Long Division. It explored what a loving relationship can turn into when work goals and other failures get in the way. It also explored pop culture and Black culture icons such as Kanye West, Bernie Mac, Michael Jackson, and Tupac Shakur. I appreciated what Laymon had to say about how Kanye West and other rappers may be amazing in the various ways they have trailblazed, but that they still fall short when talking about women. I most heartily appreciated that Laymon said the same about himself. This is a quick read that helped me realize a few of the excuses I’ve used too often in the last couple years. This set of essays reminded me to be myself but to never forget my goals to improve. Why is everything a self-help book when I read it? That is yet to be answered.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Long Division, by Kiese Laymon, The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant or Bab Feminist, by Roxane Gay.]

[ official Kiese Laymon web site ]

Recommended by Naomi S.
Eiseley and Williams Branches and the Bookmobile

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: