Friday, January 27, 2017

Love & Mercy on DVD

[DVD Love] 

My husband and I stumbled upon this movie online (streaming, via Amazon Prime), but I know the library has it on DVD. He is, by far, a bigger Beach Boys fan than I am. But when I saw that John Cusack was in it, I agreed to watch it. Was I ever surprised! I knew Brian Wilson, whom the story is focused upon, had had some issues in his life and he’d had some sort of breakdown at some point, but I never really knew any of the details. The film is wonderfully portrayed, in part by John Cusack (he’s cast as Brian Wilson – Future) and by Paul Dano (he’s cast as Brian Wilson – Past), along with Elizabeth Banks and Paul Giamatti. The music is fabulous, not simply because it’s Beach Boys music, but because you really get some insight into the composing of Pet Sounds, which is widely considered to be one of the most influential albums ever made. This movie has inspired me to seek out biographies/memoirs of Brian Wilson, Mike Love and perhaps other members of the band, as well as to borrow Pet Sounds and other Beach Boys music. I’m considering myself a converted fan!!!

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Almost Famous, Amadeus or Whiplash]

[ Internet Movie Database entry for this film ] | [ official Love & Mercy web site ]
 
Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you watched this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!
#ReadersUnite

No comments: