Friday, August 26, 2016

iZombie: Season 1 (on DVD)

iZombie: Season 1 [DVD iZombie]

Someone I know talked me into trying this series; it was clearly about zombies which I was not really into but they told me that the main character solves mysteries about people’s deaths, so it’s kind of like a CSI show, and also there is brain eating with hot sauce. It was the mystery aspect that appealed to me initially, so I agreed to try it. I was a bit surprised at how much I liked it. I had not watched anything with zombies before was not too interested in them but in this series they are actual people we can relate to, some characters act like zombiehood is just a health condition or alternate lifestyle. It’s really full of surprises that I don’t want to spoil, so I’ll be brief with the plot summary. Liv Moore is a med student doing her residency at a hospital; she goes to a party, crazy stuff happens, a lot of people die and she wakes up finding herself in a body bag. She died, but didn’t because she was turned into a zombie who has to eat brains regularly. Because of her new needs, she gets a job in the medical examiner’s office to have easy access to brains. The brains she eats from the bodies of the corpses that come through give her visions and the personality/skills of the deceased and she uses this to help solve their murder case with the Seattle Police Department. There is a lot of character development in this series and a very twisting plot. This series is based on the comic of the same name, which I also reviewed this month. The TV show has a much faster pace with more action, excitement, drama, brain eating, and very graphic violence including blood, guts, guns, and meat saws. If you don’t like watching movies or shows with this level of violence I’d recommend you read the comic (available on Hoopla) because it has a comparable story without the blood and guts.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try iZombie: Season 2, or the iZombie comics on Hoopla.]

[ Internet Movie Database entry for this film ] | [ official iZombie series web site ]

Recommended by Kristen A.
Gere Branch Library

Have you watched this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: