Sunday, September 27, 2015

Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

Food: A Love Story
by Jim Gaffigan [Biography Gaffigan]

I have long been a fan of Jim Gaffigan’s — he’s not only hilarious, but his jokes tend to be clean (i.e. I don’t have to change the channel if I’m watching him on TV and the kids come in the room) and he’s Catholic, meaning we share similar values. I think people appreciate comedians who joke about things they can relate to… I relate to Gaffigan’s humor about growing up and remaining Catholic, dealing with young children, and interactions with the general public. Most of all, however, I feel like his commentaries about food are SPOT ON! It’s as if he were somehow reading my mind! He totally articulates thoughts I’ve had and follow-up thoughts I have, almost as I’m saying them aloud in my car as I listen to him! I had considered reading this book in its print version, which is always fun if there are pictures… but when I found the audiobook on CD, I knew I had to jump at the chance to listen to Jim reading his own work. He’s not as smooth as some other professional audiobook readers, nor as when he’s delivering his routine on stage — I attributed that to the fact that he’s not a professional reader. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this book and feel that I could confidently recommend it to a vast majority of people.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Mr. Universe, also by Gaffigan, or Bossypants by Tina Fey.]

[ official Food: A Love Story web site ] | [ official Jim Gaffigan web site ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: