Sunday, March 22, 2015

Their Eyes Were Watching God (on CD) by Zora Neale Hurston

Their Eyes Were Watching God
by Zora Neale Hurston [Compact Disc Hurston]

I didn't know anything about this book before I picked it up. I hadn't known that Ms. Hurston was criticized by black, male authors of her time for not writing something that was more political, something that shined a more "positive" light on blacks in the south. I also didn't know that, while the story itself is extremely captivating, the writing is some of the most poetic I've ever known! The dialogues between characters are, in my opinion, accurate and true-to-life; but the descriptions of scenery, of people and of every day occurrences--those are absolutely lyrical! A movie was made about this book, about 10 years ago... I've never seen it, but I'm definitely going to watch it now. And more important, I'm going to read more of Hurston's work! -- recommended by Tracy T. - Bennett Martin Public Library [ see Tracy's Reviewer Profile and more of her reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try The Color Purple by Alice Walker, or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee.]
[Also available in multiple other editions and formats.]

[ official Their Eyes Were Watching God page on the official Zora Neale Hurston web site ]


Have you read  or listened to this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: