Monday, March 30, 2015

Requiem for a Dream on DVD



Requiem For a Dream
[DVD Requiem]

My younger brother recommended this movie to me a few years ago, but I hadn't gotten around to seeing it yet. Recently, I saw this movie on a list of "Movies You Must See--But Only Once". I was intrigued. I'll admit, the viewer should be warned about some graphic content; however, it's not the worst I've seen, by a long shot. The movie centers around four main characters: Harry, his mother Sara, his girlfriend Marion, and his best friend Tye. It follows them over approximately six months as they all go on their own downward spiral into addiction. That, to me, is not so original a concept. What struck me as unique about this film was the inner-workings of the relationships and how they slowly unravel as time goes on. Although this unraveling is what's to be expected, the actors portray the characters in such a gritty, naked way, that I couldn't help coming away from the movie slightly refreshed and relieved that I have such small problems to deal with, in comparison. Despite the opinion of the person who created that list I'd mentioned, I actually watched this movie twice within a week's time. I thought it was VERY compelling! -- recommended by Tracy T. - Bennett Martin Public Library [ see Tracy's Reviewer Profile and more of her reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Traffic, Rush (1991), and Blow.]

[ Internet Movie Database entry for this film ]

Have you read this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: