Thursday, March 12, 2015

Crash (on DVD)

Crash
[DVD Crash]

I remember, when this movie came out in 2004, there was a LOT of buzz about it--there was an all-star cast, the music was supposed to be so fabulous, and it won three Academy Awards. But I didn't get around to seeing it until 11 years later. The story is about several different individuals and couples, and how their lives intertwine as they're living in Los Angeles. I had to keep in mind that this film was made just a few years after 9/11, and America's wounds were still very fresh. I was stunned by the blatant racism and anger that was portrayed by people of ALL races in this story! I think I had assumed that such open animosity was something that wouldn't be expressed in a place like LA. I couldn't be more wrong. This movie was very emotionally stirring for me, especially since there have been recent events that proved, to me, that we haven't really come that far yet, with regard to racism and prejudice. It was a great reminder for me. -- recommended by Tracy T. - Bennett Martin Public Library [ see Tracy's Reviewer Profile and more of her reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Grand Canyon, Boyz n the Hood, Brokeback Mountain and American History X.]

[ Internet Movie Database entry for this film ] | [ official Crash web site ]

Have you watched this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: