Friday, November 28, 2014

The Sound and the Furry by Spencer Quinn (on CD)

The Sound and the Furry
by Spencer Quinn [Compact Disc Quinn]

The libraries' Just Desserts mystery discussion group read and discussed the very first Chet and Bernie mystery, Dog On It, back in January 2011, and I really enjoyed the characters in that novel, particularly the main narrator, Chet the Dog. The series got added to my to-be-read list, and it took me a while to get back to it, and I ultimately decided to pick up the second volume as an audiobook. I have absolutely fallen in love with the audio versions of these stories, and I burned through the second to this, the sixth, volume as books-on-cd in rapid fire. Narrator James Frangione is absolutely perfect in performing.these stories, capturing the personality of narrator Chet with remarkable accuracy -- I really do feel like I'm in the mind of a dog as he tells the story. I don't think I'll return to actually reading this series, since I enjoy the audio versions so much. I highly recommend the entire series to any mystery fans looking for a unique narrative style, but I reserve my highest praise for the book-on-cd versions of these stories. In this sixth volume, The Sound and the Furry, Chat and Bernie journey out of their dry, arid southwestern climates to tackle a case down on the Louisiana bayou. Colorful characters abound. A solid mystery story supports the great dialog and descriptions of setting. And, as usual, Chet is on the case and just waiting for his chance to grab the perp by the pants leg! -- recommended by Scott C. - Bennett Martin Public Library [ see Scott's Reviewer Profile and more of his reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try all the other Spencer Quinn titles.]

[Also available in traditional print format.]

[ official chetthedog.com blog ]


Have you read or listened to this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: