Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Last Course

The Last Course
by Claudia Fleming [641.86 Fle]

Although I enjoyed going through this collection of one of my favorite things – dessert – I think it could have been better, in terms of reaching a broad audience of non-professional cooks/chefs. Only about one-third of the recipes are accompanied by a photo of the finished dish, and many of the recipes are rather complicated or involve multiple parts of preparation. It does make me curious to go to the source restaurant but I'm sure the prices would be a shock even if the fare is as fabulous as it looks and seems. I appreciate that the recipes are divided by content/type of dessert and there are helpful tips on wine pairing, and food/spice characteristics. What bothers me, though, is the amount of "discard" this and that in the instructions. Albeit this was published over ten years ago, 'going green' is not a brand-new concept so it would be nice to get suggestions for what can be done with leftovers, such as egg whites or yolks, either to complement the dish being made or use in another. What I ended up wishing for over all was that someone ELSE would make the desserts that caught my eye and then let me taste-test them! I'll accept a delivery of chocolate caramel tarts or lavender lemon pound cake any time. -- recommended by Becky W.C. - Walt Branch Library

[ official North Fork Table and Inn – Claudia Fleming's restaurant ]


Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: