Saturday, October 13, 2012

Alien

Alien
[DVD Alien]

"In space no one can hear you scream!" I can still remember this advertising catch phrase, from the first time I saw this film. I had read the novelization already, and was young enough that I needed my dad to go to the Cooper Theater with me to get me in to this R rated film. Knowing the plot, I ended up covering my face at the "chest-burster" sequence in the ship's mess hall. Now, years...and multiple viewings later, I can still look back on Alien as one of the classiest, most compelling science fiction films made in the last 30+ years. Referred to by critics as a "haunted house in space" film, Alien (especially the extended cut) triggers a lot of visceral reactions. Though later films in the Aliens franchise have thrown dozens of the deadly predators at the screen, there's nothing quite like the creepy quality of having a single one of these creatures stalking the Nostromo's crew through the darkened halls. And Sigourney Weaver shines in her role as Ripley -- although she's even better in the follow-up film Aliens. Alien is a near-perfect film -- terrific performances, spine-tingling soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and one of the scariest creature designs ever seen on film. No matter what you may think of Prometheus, the prequel film that came out this summer, I highly recommend revisiting the original Alien. [If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Aliens, Alien3 or Prometheus.] -- recommended by Scott C. - Bennett Martin Public Library

[ Internet Movie Database entry for this film ]

 
Have you seen this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: