Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Tales

The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Tales
by Theodore Geisel/Doctor Seuss [jP Seuss]

I grew up on Dr. Seuss books. Some of the earliest things I remember reading on my own were the traditional "Cat in the Hat", "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish", "Green Eggs and Ham", "Yertle the Turtle" and "My Book About Me". I remember mourning when Theodore Geisel passed away, knowing that his last few books, such as "The Butter Battle Book" would be the last new Dr. Seuss titles I'd ever see. Therefore, I was very surprised and pleased to stumble across this book on the New Books display in the kids book room. This book collects seven rare and obscure short works Geisel created for various magazines back in the 1950s and 1960s. Some of these stories play out very similarly to his well-known tales, while others are true oddities. I found myself in a nostalgic mood while enjoying this short collection -- it should appeal to any Seussian fan, in addition kids having their very first Seuss experiences. Not great literature, but a fascinating look at a missing chapter in the life of Dr. Seuss! -- recommended by Scott C. - Bennett Martin Public Library [subscribe to Scott's monthly booklist newsletter It's All Geek to Me! - on our Books, Movies & More subscription page]

[ publisher's official The Bippolo Seed web site ]

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month.

No comments: