Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Poe's Detective: The Dupin Stories


Poe's Detective: The Dupin Stories
by Edgar Allan Poe [Compact Disc Poe]

As a long-time fan of the mystery genre, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had never read Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", nor any of the other stories to feature his intellectual crime solver C. Auguste Dupin. When I saw that Bronson Pinchot -- one of my favorite TV actors (Balki on Perfect Strangers) was the narrator of this audiobook set, I couldn't pass it up. Pinchot was almost unrecognizable and his heavily accented Dupin is perfectly appropriate for these stories. I will admit that the Dupin stories are historic for their role in helping to create the modern genre of murder mysteries. However...though intriguing, I found these stories somewhat bland and unengaging. I did, however, love the biting humor of the fourth (non-Dupin) story in this audio collection. Despite some disappointment, I would still recommend this set to any mystery fans! -- recommended by Scott C. - Bennett Martin Public Library

[The works of Poe are available in a variety of formats through the libraries.]

[ Wikipedia page about C. Auguste Dupin ]

Have you listened to this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide web site. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month.

No comments: